Monday 18 December 2017

Play Miniature Games without Minis?! Part 3 - 5150: Hammer & Anvil...Uh oh!

Part Two

Activation dice are rolled for turn 2 and the PEF can move first. The 6 on my score means I won't be moving this turn, but I can react so no worries.


The PEF rolls for movement and comes over the hill and into LOS onto my flank. But this high tech stuff allows for a 360 degree In Sight so we will roll off if the PEF is resolved as enemy. I roll 3d6 to resolve it and it's resolved as two Hishen HE 6 Heavy Tanks. 


The Hishen win the In Sight and open fire on my Thunder 1B on the left. With an APR of 13 and my side armor of 2 it's no contest if they score a hit. 


 Both do and my tank blows up. I take a Friend Brewed Up Test and continue on.


 I whip my  two tanks around to face the enemy and we roll In Sights. I win and we open fire...and the error of my ways becomes obvious.
My Armor Piercing Rating is 10. The Hishen frontal armor is 11. I can't penetrate their armor and must try Hands of Fate shots. When your APR can't penetrate you can still fire, but you have to roll "snake eyes" to hit and penetrate. Fat F&*^#ing Chance.  Clank and clank.


I still have movement left and slam the tanks into reverse, but can't get out of sight. The Hishen activate and active fire as I am already in sight. Two hits and both tanks are disabled. Luckily the crews can now bail and we run off the field.
**************************************


KNOW YOUR ENEMY! I wrote the damn rules, but didn't take the time to learn them. Yes, if you get approached from the flank or rear you still get an In Sight, but you're also presenting your weakest armor! 

My tanks had no chance in a fair fight with the Hishen Heavies. As soon as I activated I should have run for it instead of whipping around and firing. 

Next time I'll know better. 



11 comments:

  1. Great stuff - love this system! When are we getting more THW board games, Ed? Please...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to doing my own and not partnering up with anyone else. Want more control from start to finish.

      Delete
    2. Good for you. That sounds great! Its impossible to get the ATZ boardgame in the UK. If it appears, it disappears just as quick. If you could secure better distribution maybe you would shift more units in europe??

      Delete
    3. LnL no longer has ATZ it in stock. :(

      Delete
    4. Unacceptable. We raid at dawn.

      Delete
  2. Two questions, actually:

    You stated up front that this turn your units can only react.

    The PEF comes over the hill and resolves as two heavy tanks as soon as they come into line of sight. They could take up to 2 inches more movement before they roll off for the In Sight Test, but but in this case they opt to execute the Test immediately.

    It's at this point my first question comes in.

    It looks like that both tanks have line of sight to all three of your Thunders as they crest the hill, but unless the mechanics have been changed since earlier versions, if so they would have to spread their fire across multiple targets rather than ganging up on the one furthest left.

    Unless the nearest Thunder is blocking line of sight to the further ones, though from this camera angle it looks as though at least the southernmost Hishen tank should have line of sight down the group.

    Am I understanding the mechanics right and this is just an awkward angle for the camera?

    Also, your tanks can't activate this turn and we've already established that they have 360° vision.

    Why do they get to take a new In Sight Test on the Hishen? Is that a result of the Friend Brewed up Test? If the nearer Thunder was blocking LOS then just the middle one should have suddenly gained line of sight to the heavy tanks on the hill and the far one still should've had line of sight blocked by the West most Thunder.

    You were absolutely still screwed, either way, but I'm trying to work out the specifics of how that act of coitus actually came to pass.

    I'm looking forward to picking this up as soon as it's available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The PEF comes over the hill and resolves as two heavy tanks as soon as they come into line of sight. They could take up to 2 inches more movement before they roll off for the In Sight Test, but in this case they opt to execute the Test immediately.
      ****************Right to stay “hull down” which modifies the to hit table when being fired on.

      It's at this point my first question comes in.

      It looks like that both tanks have line of sight to all three of your Thunders as they crest the hill, but unless the mechanics have been changed since earlier versions, if so they would have to spread their fire across multiple targets rather than ganging up on the one furthest left.

      Unless the nearest Thunder is blocking line of sight to the further ones, though from this camera angle it looks as though at least the southernmost Hishen tank should have line of sight down the group.

      Am I understanding the mechanics right and this is just an awkward angle for the camera?

      ***************Awkward camera angle. There’s no specific targeting rules, but the ones in other sets can be used if desired.

      Also, your tanks can't activate this turn and we've already established that they have 360° vision.

      Why do they get to take a new In Sight Test on the Hishen?

      *******************Due to them not having a LOS on the Hishen on the crest of the hill, who could only see the closest tank.

      Is that a result of the Friend Brewed up Test? If the nearer Thunder was blocking LOS then just the middle one should have suddenly gained line of sight to the heavy tanks on the hill and the far one still should've had line of sight blocked by the West most Thunder.

      *****************I made a call that they couldn’t see.

      You were absolutely still screwed, either way, but I'm trying to work out the specifics of how that act of coitus actually came to pass.

      *****************Basically by not taking into account what I could run into. Hope this makes sense.

      Delete
  3. Are there rules for hover tanks or walkers?

    Looking forward to this release!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, includes grav tanks, tracked and wheeled. No walkers though I may offer a free add on.

      Delete